Monday, November 21, 2005

Dan's Top 10

So my list is definately more teenage books because thats what I read, but I do have a few classics on here.
Like Lisa's these aren't in any particular order.
Harry Potter!! Definately! My favorite is the sixth, couldn't really tell you why, maybe because of all the romance -when you keep reading you'll see I totally dig chic books : ) - Anyway, I can't wait for the 7th!
The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown: This guy writes like its real, and it really pulls you in. I couldn't put this book down. It has less gore and grossness than the prequel (Angels and Demons) so I like it better, besides that it's just better : ) It has a lot of cool history and its set in Italy mainly so that makes it interesting. And the scenes in the Louvre are really interesting.
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd: A sweet story of a girl saving her "stand-in mother" from jail and going to live with 3 sister bee keepers. The three women teach her about life, especially the life of her deceased mother. It's a great mother-daughter-sister kind of book.
Pride and Prejudice: A classic with my favorite things romance and hunky guys. just kidding about the guys thats only in the movie : ) Anyway, I love Mr. Darcy after you find out he's really not a jerk : ) I was a litle bored of this book at first but after around the middle it seemed more interesting and now I love it.
The Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix: These books are fantasy/magic/dead coming alive kind of books and they're really good! Cheri, I would definately recommend them to your older children. They're kind of creepy but I don't think they would get nightmares or anything. Anyway, the main character is a girl named Sabriel and her last name is Aborsen but that is more of a title than a name. Before she was the Abhorsen her father was. The Abhorsen is someone who fights the alive/dead things. It's kinda of a complicated plot, so just take my word for it, its good!
Little Women: Again another chic classic. I love Little Women!!! I cry every time Beth dies, in the book or movie. The book is a bit different than the movie (I know it should be the other way, but I've seen that movie too many times) but it still is a great story.
Before We Were Free by Julia Alvarez: Lisa thanks for giving this to me!!! This is about Anita de la Torre, a 12 year old in Dominican Republic. Her family is involved in a secret, i guess you could say, society working to overthrow the country's terrifying dictator. The things she writes in her journal have to be erased directly after they are written so as not to incriminate family members because almost daily secret police search her home for evidence. Her family is forced into hiding and finally escape to America. There theri life is better but there is still a tragic loss that alwaays makes me cry. This book is really good. I can't even describe! It's just really good. : )
Anne of Green Gables (along with Anne of Avonlea and Anne of the Island). Super cute. Anne is so funny and I just had to keep reading because in every book I would be waitingfor her and Gilbert to get together and they never would! : ) The movies are pretty much the same, but I still liked the books alot.
Ender's Game: Probably the only science fiction book I have ever read, but it was way sweet. INTENSE! Ender Wiggin is a genius! I really don't like the people that run everything, they aren't very nice, but Ender makes up for it by saving the world!
The Keys to the Golden Firebird by Maureen Johnson: This is also a chic book but its pretty appropriate for this blog. Its about 3 sisters. 2 of the them really fall apart when their dad dies, so the middle sister has to be the mother becuase their mom has to work ALL the time. So the book is about there personal struggles but in the end they come closer to each other and she gets the guy and all that jazz. It's really good.
So thats my ten! Sorry if I made it too long! Love you guys lots, danlee xoxo

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Dan! This is such a fun list! Way to read awesome girly books like Little Women and The Secret Life of Bees! I have been planning to read The DaVinci Code before the movie comes out so I'm glad to hear it's a page-turner! You also mentioned a couple books that I've not heard of, so I will check them out!

11/30/2005  
Blogger Danielle said...

yeah we can totally talk about it...we might jsut have to wait til you get home though. i'm almost done, like 2 chapters left. its pretty good. holden is nuts hehe anyway, see ya soon, love dan

12/21/2005  
Blogger Cheri said...

dan,

Excellent list! I can't believe you're already reading stuff like Bees and DaVinci. I loved both. Bees and Pr&Pr may both go on my top 10. And you've got Ender's Game--I gotta read that one again. It's so fun to hear what ya'll are reading.

1/02/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home