Friday, September 01, 2006

the curious incident of the dog in the night-time

Christopher John Francis Boone knows all the countries of the world and their capitals and every prime number up to 7, 057. He can also square 2 up to over 30 million. He cannot stand to be touched.He hates the yellow and brown. He relates well to animals but has no understanding of human emotions. Christopher is autistic. The novel is Christopher's very own book he has decided to write. He loves mystery novels. He loves Sherlock Holmes but hates Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

One night he discovers Mrs. Shear's dog Wellington with a pitch fork in his belly. Laying in the yard. He decides to find out who killed Wellington and write a detective book documenting his investigation.

So this is the book. It is amazing (I stole Lisa's word ha). It was so interesting reading from the view point of an autistic boy. The back of the book says its like The Catcher in the Rye. But I've read that too. And it isn't. Holden Caulfield is just wierd. It never says what the heck is wrong with him. He just is a freak. I'm pretty sure. Christopher Boone is a genius with some emotional issues :). Here is a paragraph to show how cool this book is:

Eight years ago, when I first met Siobhan, she showed me this picture : ( and I knew that it meant "sad," which is what I felt when I found the dead dog. Then she showed me this picture : ) and I knew that it meant "happy," like when I'm reading about the Apollo space missions, or when I am still awake at 3 a.m. or 4 a.m. in the morning and I can walk up and down the street and pretend that I am the only person in the whole world. The she drew me some other pictures ; ) (angry face) (confused face) : o [sorry i couldn't make those faces] but I was unable to say what these meant. I got Siobhan to draw lots of these faces and then write down next to them exactly what they meant. I kept the piece of paper in my pocket and took it out when I didn't understand what someone was saying. But it was very difficult to decide which of the diagrams was most like the face they were making because some people's faces move very quickly.
So anyway, theres a peek of the book. It gets cooler than that paragraph but it's really late in the night-time and I just want to sleep. So just read the book. It is good and a really easy read, and a quick read, and it is just swell.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi... Not a sister here. This looks like a family affair but I found you guys when I was looking at Pilcrow Designs site. I've been coming and checking out the books you've been reading. When I saw this, I just had to comment. This is such an excellent book. I know someone whose son had Asberger's Syndrome, a form of autism, and it gave me such an insight into what his life is like. Especially in the scene where he describes what he sees when he sees a field with cows in it. So enlightening. But on its own, as a story, it stands. I was just knocked out of my shoes by this one.

9/02/2006  
Blogger Danielle said...

Thanks cris :D Yeah I really liked that book. Thanks to Lis who gave it to me! Lis have you read it?? You better...or else! haha

and Thanks to aseveremary. Kinda cool to here from someone besides a sister.

9/03/2006  
Blogger Lisa said...

I have not read it, so maybe I will have to borrow it back from you! I'm super glad you liked it, Dan. Hooray for books that amaze!

9/03/2006  
Blogger Danielle said...

yeah, definately you have to read it! so like next time i see ya and give you back shakespeare in love, i can give you that too!
heh heh books that amaze :D

9/05/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home