Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Midnight's Children

Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie is the story of Saleem Sinai, born at the stroke of midnight at the exact moment of India's independence. The mystical hour of his birth endows him (and 1,000 other children) with preternatural powers, first telepathy that facilitates a connection with the other "midnight's children," and later an uncanny sense of smell that allows him to sniff out danger, read emotions and interpret motives that others can't sense. Saleem is fathered by history, and he is handcuffed to it. He tells his story with "postmodern reflexivity" (flexing my academic muscles--they're pretty flabby!), but all the big moments in his life are mirrored in the changing fortunes of India's modern history.

This book is often compared to One Hundred Years of Solitude due to it's liberal use of magic realism, the thematic suggestion that reality is subjective, and the fact that it is a loose allegory of the history of a country. Magic realism is actually one of the features I found so appealing in this book. My favorite recurring example reminded me more of Like Water for Chocolate: the impregnating of food with the cook's emotions. Saleem's aunt cooks all her old-maid repressions into her chutneys, thereby disseminating her bitterness and discontent throughout the family.

It took me about 4 months to get through Midnight's Children because it really is not the type you don't want to put down, but it is extraordinary. It's complicated and unique and funny and tragic and optimistic. Knowing very little about India or Indian history, I was in unfamiliar territory, but I found Saleem's self-depracating narrative voice to be so endearing, and I enjoyed the way the story unravels in big swoops and digressions rather than being linear--it's an oral narrative style that really works. Anyway, this is a good book--the kind that leaves you feeling that you read something big.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cheri said...

I've heard the name but never read anything by Salmon Rushdie. Does he always write magic realism? I know I need to read 100 Years of Solitude, but last time I tried it didn't hold me for more than a few pages. I actually suggested it for our book group but then retracted when I looked further into it--it seemed a bit out of reach for avid but non-academic readers.
Ched

1/29/2006  
Blogger Cheri said...

p.s. lis, you're a great writer. do you have a chance to keep up with your writing outside our wonderful little blog?

1/29/2006  
Blogger Lisa said...

I haven't read anything else by Rushdie, so I don't know the answer to your question. But according to this overview of his work, magic realism seems to be a common technique for him.

PS. Thanks for the compliment! It's so nice coming from such a smart lady! The only writing I do is at work--I get to do a lot of wide-distribution emails and intranet content, and I've written a few articles for our company newsletter. Business communication suits me, as I've never been the creative type. I just like to put a decent sentence together.

1/31/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home