Friday, February 24, 2006

The Mayor of Casterbridge

I thought I was going to hate this book--a dark, Victorian tragedy with a yucky main character--ugh! But I think I actually liked it. Michael Henchard turned out to be surprisingly sympathetic, a tragic figure in the Greek and Shakespearean sense, a great man with a "tragic flaw." In spite of the unlikely coincidences that sometimes govern the plot, the book's twists and turns kept me turning pages, and the rich characterization more than makes up for the somewhat contrived plot. As Phillip Lopate says in the introduction, "One measure of the psychological subtlety of The Mayor of Casterbridge is that Henchard keeps coming to a wiser self-awareness, and then losing it again, the way we all do." Likewise, "what makes the book so much more interesting is the way the narrative keeps slipping the noose of inevitability." In other words, the reader has plenty of chances to say, "Oh, it could go another way! Henchard, you could choose this better path." On top of that, he's basically a good guy. You get to see him do lots of decent things, like supporting a widow without anyone but she and her son knowing, or being to-the-penny honest at his bankruptcy. You like him. So, yes it's a Victorian tragedy, a pretty good one. Be sure to get the Barnes and Noble Classics version because it has a much more engaging and informative introduction than others I've seen. (to avoid spoilers, read the intro after the book) P.S. The book's almost worth reading for it's utterly unexpected first chapter.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Did you read this for your book group? How did the others like it? Do you know, in all the years I spent studying Victorian lit, I've never read a book by Thomas Hardy. I have always been scared off by his reputation for being very dark indeed. In fact I saw a movie version of Jude the Obscure and it was SO wretched I didn't think I could read the book. But someday I might bring myself to read Tess of the d'Urbervilles, and it sounds like this could be a good one too. Thanks for sharing!

2/24/2006  
Blogger Cheri said...

Yes, for book group, and everyone actually liked it. We had a very productive discussion about the multifaceted characters (especially Henchard), about pride and honesty, about trying and falling back. It helped that the discussion leader is very literary. A friend who had read Jude said this was much easier to get through, although she was glad to have read Jude. I have the impression that both Tess and Jude are much darker and heavier all the way through.

2/25/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home