Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The Start of More to Come

Cold Mountain
This book, by author Charles Frazier centers around three characters and their attempts to overcome the trials brought on by the civil war. Inman is the wounded soldier who has left the war. He has realized he is fighting for a cause in which he doesn't believe and he simply wants nothing more than to return to his home and the girl he loves. Ada is left alone as the men are gone to fight and her father has redently died, leaving her to fend for herself. Ruby arrives in time to help Ada learn the skills it takes to survive as they work together to create a home and refuge.

I really liked reading this book because I love reading about events and people in a way that could be true. It helps me to experience the way life was or might have been in a time that I otherwise only know about from history books. So, instead of just giving facts and numbers like history classes do, this story brings the event to life and gives it perspective and turns the past into something real that changed and effected lives. The story was alive with the passion of the characters and the description the author provides of life in the south for both soldiers and those left behind.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi there! It has been quite awhile since I've commented but I always check in and read your reviews. I love this site...

I am very interested in The Birth House. I'm going to try to get my book club to read it sometime this next year.

I have a recommend based on someone's recommendation to me. It is called The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood and it is a retelling of The Illiad and The Odyssey from the point of view of Odysseus' wife. This is the next book my book club is doing.

Keep writing these great reviews.

11/10/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home