Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Bound on Earth

I just finished a fantastic new LDS novel: Bound on Earth, by Angela Hallstrom. With honest, lucid prose, Hallstrom offers the best, most real, picture of contemporary Mormon life I've seen. It is a moving multi-generational story of one family drawing together through all their trials and foibles. Rather than centering her story on conversions, Hallstrom centers it on endurance. The complex, well-realized characters do not find simplistic answers to deeply troubling challenges; instead, there is often just simple, daily, difficult faith. They earn our compassion and teach us much about how to live well as flawed humans in a flawed world. Hallstrom gives us all this in just under 200 pages of tightly focused moments, deftly shifting from one time and perspective to another. This quietly affecting family portrait left me more compassionate toward myself and those I am bound to.

P.S. I'm so excited to get the word out on this book I even posted this review on amazon. :-)

1 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

This sounds good. I love it when LDS novels are well-written and realistic. I'll have to check this one out. Thanks for the review!

3/11/2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home