Saturday, January 17, 2009

Cold Comfort Farm

Dan already posted about this book (see her review here), but I liked it so well I thought I would re-enforce the accolades for anyone who hasn't read it. This was such a fun book to read, and Flora, the main character, is so "droll" and charming. As a parody of the rural novel, Cold Comfort Farm is often laugh-out-loud funny--it was published in 1932, but the comedy is completely unharmed by the passage of time. Consider this passage in which cousin Urk attempts to sweep his new-found love Meriam off her feet--a classic example of screwball physical comedy:
'Come, my beauty--my handful of dirt. I mun carry thee up to Ticklepenny's and show 'ee to the water-voles.' Urk's face was working with passion.

Urk put one arm around Meriam's waste and heaved away, but could not budge her from the floor. He cursed aloud, and, kneeling down, placed his arms around her middle, and heaved again. She did not stir. Next he wrapped his arms about her shoulders and below her knees. She declined upon him, and he, staggering beneath her, sank to the floor. Mrs Beetle made a sound resembling 't-t-t-t-t'.

Mark Dolour was heard to mutter that th' Fireman's Lift was as good a hold as any he knew.

Now Urk made Meriam stand in the middle of the floor, and with a low, passionful cry, ran at her.

'Come, my beauty.'

The sheer animal weight of the man bore her up into his clutching arms. Mark Dolour (who dearly loved a bit of sport) held open the door, and Urk and his burden rushed out into the dark and earthy scents of the young spring night.
Now am I the only one who finds that hilarious? Besides being a parody, Cold Comfort Farm also is itself a fine specimen of the rural genre--some of Ms. Gibbons' descriptions are just amazing, and it does end with a lot of happy marriages. Anyway I highly recommend this one. It's super fun.

I saw the movie adapted from this book a long time ago, but I can't recall whether it does justice to the book. Anyone?

3 Comments:

Blogger Danielle said...

Yay! That was a fun book!
And I didn't even know there was a movie!

1/17/2009  
Blogger Cheri said...

It's going on my list. Thanks for the recommendation, girls. :-)

1/31/2009  
Blogger Cristi said...

Sounds fun! Nice reviews guys.

2/02/2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home