Thursday, March 30, 2006

The Da Vinci Code

Judging by the waiting list to get this book at the library, I am not in fact the last person on earth to read The Da Vinci Code, but it sure seems like it. (Who hasn't read this? Anyone?) Normally the "best-selling thriller" is not my genre of choice, book snob that I am, but I finally decided to give this one a try because critics seem to agree it's far more than your average thriller—not to mention I had to find out what all the hype was about. And it was actually quite good. It's very fast paced, but takes time out for art history and symbology lectures. There are lots of unexpected twists and intriguing riddles. The conspiracy theories provide rich food for thought and the ending leaves you surprisingly satisfied. Brown is particularly skilled at ending chapters on a cliffhanger that compels you to read on—not a good thing for someone hoping to get a decent night's sleep, but definitely a good thing for those who like a page-turner. There are times in the book when the writing is noticably awkward, but that didn't stop me from thoroughly enjoying it. I think it'll make a fun movie. Dan Brown's web page is a good companion to the book. Click on "Secrets" then The Da Vinci Code photo gallery to see pictures of the Louvre, Westminster Abbey, Da Vinci's work, etc.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cheri said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3/30/2006  
Blogger Cheri said...

I decided to switch to short and sweet, instead of just repeating Lisa's comments. Lis, your experience sounds exactly like mine--reluctant to try it but ended up having a great time--couldn't put it down and found some interesting things to think about besides. Highly recommended.

3/30/2006  
Blogger Melissa said...

I tend to refer to this book as "that piece of crap". Not that I didn't enjoy it... but. I tell people that the first Dan Brown book you read, is the one you enjoy. My problem was that I read Angels and Deamons first. And really enjoyed it, thought it was a lot of fun, etc. Then I read this one. Same story all over again. Actually, not as good or as thrilling, IMO. So I ended up disappointed. That, and I kept having people tell me that they were so glad that someone told "the truth" (how many people are going to the Louve saying, "LOOK! It's THERE!"). Oh, well. Some authors only have one story in them; I just chose the wrong one to read. :)

3/31/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home