Saturday, November 11, 2006

Truman Capote is Amazing

Breakfast at Tiffany's and A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote

I decided to read Breakfast at Tiffany's because I really love the author (I read In Cold Blood in high school and, though it's about the murder of a family in Kansas, the investigation, and the life of the two men resposonsible, I really liked it. It sounds as if it'd be some creepy thriller or detective story or something, but it wasn't. It was really intelligent the way Capote wrote it and I can't help but add it to my recommendations.) and I love the movie that was inspired by the book. But, if you've seen the movie you've basically read the book. It really was exactly the same. Which is okay because I love it. I just didn't feel like I gained anything by reading it, any new information or insights I mean. Don't get me wrong, it's a great story about the free spirit of Holly Golightly told from the perspective of the man who falls in love with her. It's very enchanting and Capote's style is unique and fun. So, if you haven't seen the movie, though I doubt anyone hasn't, read the book instead or first. The end is a little different, and it does make you think about why Capote would have chosen to end it like that. He is a really great author. All in all, the movie did the book justice, which can't be said of too many these days.

Anyway, following Breakfast at Tiffany's (at least in this publication) are some of Capote's short stories including his most famous, "A Christmas Memory." Oh, I absolutely loved it! It was so charming and fun to read! I read it once a long time ago, maybe as a freshman in high school, but I had completely forgotten about it, until now. If you haven't read it I highly recommend it. It's absolutely beautiful. The language he uses guides you through his memory and brings it to life. The story is really touching and definitely worth a read. Just one more reason to love Truman Capote!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home