Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Atonement

Atonement, by Ian McEwan, is about a crime and its consequences over the course of six decades. It's the mid-thirties, and a precocious young girl stands on the threshold of adolescence with all its inner drama and self-absorption. On a languid summer day, Briony glimpses strange incidents and misunderstood intimacies between her 20-something sister and her friend, Robbie. Late that night, someone is attacked, and Briony’s overactive imagination and overindulged self-importance send an innocent man to prison, destroying two lives as his wrongful conviction breaks up a love affair just as it’s begun.

Those events make up only a portion of Atonement: the rest is the aftermath. Five years farther down the path to adulthood, Briony realizes what she’s done and gives up college to become a nurse tending soldiers wounded in WWII to atone for the damage she caused as a child. There's also a long, intense section following Robbie's tour of duty in France—he joins the army because anything, including war, is better than the "daily stupidity" and claustrophobia of prison. Briony's real atonement, however, turns out to be not so much the stint with nursing—it comes decades later and I won’t say how because that would ruin McEwan’s surprising if somewhat contrived ending.

Atonement is a compelling story and fantastic book, complex and beautifully written, with a psychological acuity to which few living novelists can lay claim. In the first section, the author captures with such clarity the child's emotions and motives and her muddled understanding of adults' complex emotional lives. That first section pulses with heat and light; the descriptions are lush, unexpected, beautiful. Later the writing becomes more gritty (what with the war) but no less amazing. Throughout the novel, McEwan's writing is vibrant, precise, wrenching and intense.

To sum up: The movie was good, the book is great.

5 Comments:

Blogger Danielle said...

I also read this book, and I didn't want to ruin Lisa's beautiful post, so I'm commenting on it.

I absolutely loved Atonement! I think it's one of my favorites now. It was so well written and the characters, especially Briony, I thought were very real and well developed. It was amazing.

I could not put it down. Not that it's action packed, but just so good! I was even late to school a few times because I would read it in the morning... I would try to straighten my hair and read at the same time! :)

Anyway, so I loved it, and I loved the time period, where its modern but still so glamourous. I started reading A Separate Peace because it's set in that period also, and now we're studying WWII in history, too. I love it!

So basically amazing, tragic, and romantic are three words to describe Atonement.

Love you guys! Do more blogs! xox

3/12/2008  
Blogger Cristi said...

Thanks Lis and Dan! I also really enjoyed this book. Although I loved the first 200 pages about 100% more than I enjoyed the last of it. McEwan geniusly crafted each of the stories/characters at the beginning and I couldn't put it down, but then things fell a little flat when I was expecting confrontation and/or resolution. But I agree with you Dan, it's engrossing. And my feelings about the mid-to-end cast only a faint shadow over the rest. Have any of you read others by him? He's one of those authors who publishes something new every year it seems...

3/15/2008  
Blogger Lisa said...

Cris, I think you make a fair point about the second part of the book—there's no real confrontation and not much of a resolution, although that's clearly intended. The first section is definitely the best.

I read On Chesil Beach last year. It's a beautifully written, sad little novella about two newlyweds on their wedding night, which ends badly because they can't find a way to talk to each other. I didn't find it as compelling as Atonement, but there's no denying McEwan's mastery of narrative, language and psychology. Jonathan Lethem put it nicely in his NYT review of On Chesil Beach: "his narratives hurry us feverishly forward, desperate for the revelation of secrets, and yet his sentences stop us cold to savor the air of another human being’s consciousness."

3/15/2008  
Blogger Cristi said...

Wow. Lethem's review is spot-on! Well, Atonement was lovely. On Chesil Beach sounds very sad and I've heard mixed things about Saturday so maybe I'll dig up a McEwan oldie and see how it compares.

3/16/2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read Atonement in December and it really stuck with me. I just rented the movie and was actually surprised how much it stuck with the original story. Not quite as good as the book, but are they ever?

4/13/2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home