Sunday, December 03, 2006

I Capture the Castle

I've read 2 things I haven't posted on, I Capture the Castle, and Wicked. So Lisa said I had to report on them.

I Capture the Castle, by Dodie Smith
It is soo good! I'm in love with it. The narration is so good, and it is just so fun, and a great story and I can't think of anything bad about it! It's narrated by Cassandra Mortmain who wants to be a writer. Her family is very poor, living in a broken down castle. She starts a journal where she wishes to "capture" her family, and the castle, in her writing. Her sister Rose longs for romance and money, while Cassandra says, "I know all about the facts of life, and I don't think much of them." But their isolation from romance ends when the rich American boys, Simon and Neil Cotton, move into the house down the lane. The back of the book says, "[Cassandra] strives, over 6 turbulent months, to hone her writing skills. She fills three notebooks with sharply funny yet poignant entries. Her journals candidly chronicle the great changes that take place within the castle's walls, and her own first descent into love. By the time she pens her final entry, she has 'captured the castle'--and the heart of the reader--in one of literature's most enchanting entertainments."

I think it was marvelous, and I want to see the movie that Debbi says is also marvelous. Here's a excerpt just for fun:
"I decided to think a little before i began writing, and lay back enjoying the heat of the sun and staring up at the great blue bowl of the sky. It was lovely feeling the warm earth under me and the springing grass against the palms of my hands while my mind was drawn upwards. Unfortunately my thoughts will never stay exalted for very long, and soon I was gloating over my new green dress and wondering if it would suit me to curl my hair. I closed my eyes, as I usually do when I am thinking very hard. Gradually I slid into imagining Rose married to Simon--it doesn't seem to matter when you imagine about other people, it only stops things happening when you do it about yorself. I gave Rose a lovely wedding and got to where she was alone with Simon at a Paris hotel--she was a little frightened of him, but I made her enjoy that. He was looking at her the way he did at dinner when he raised his glass to her........
I opened my eyes. He was there, the real Simon Cotton, looking at me. I hadn't heard a sound."
So there you are. I feel like stopping, so maybe sometime this week I will put Wicked on here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cheri said...

I'm way late commenting here, but I just have to second Dan's review. It's one of my favorite books I've read in the last few years. Then narrator is one of the most charming and lovable in history.

1/03/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home