Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Perma Red

Perma Red, by Debra Magpie Earling.

I don't really have much to say about this, it's not the kind of book you can really tell anyone what it's about. It's one of the many loaned to me by Draw and Britty...Anywho it's about Louise White Elk who is a young woman on a Flathead Indian reservation. It changes stories kind of. Like each chapter is the same story but centered around another character. I guess I'll just put some chapter beginnings so you can kinda get a feel for the book... and say it was MAGNIFICO!

A Louise White Elk Chapter

"After Florence died the weather changed. The sun turned cold, and dark owl days perched over Louise's life. The approaching winter light blinked through the windows of her grandmother's house to find her still slumped in bed. Louise would wake to a sun so bright she would cover her face with her hands. She would sit on the porch until late afternoon waiting until she could return to bed."

A Charlie Kicking Woman Chapter

"I burned the roads getting home, early enough to change my uniform and meet the day looking decent, but I arrived too late to save my marriage. Aida had left me. I guess I knew even as I sat in that hotel room she was already gone from me. A man knows these things."

A Baptiste Yellow Knife Chapter

"Even the smallest bones in his hands and feet were lit with pain. He had to brace himslef against his mother to make it to bed. Stars rushed his head, burning stars glittered his backbone. The ground seemed to drop from him and rise up again suddenly. He couldn't get his bearings. He wobbled in his walk."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home